A microchip is about the size of a grain of rice (12mm) and is implanted beneath the surface of your pet’s skin in between the shoulder blades. The process is similar to a routine vaccine; it only takes a few seconds and no anesthetic is required.
A microchip acts a permanent personal identification number that will last the life of your pet. It is read by passing a specialized microchip scanner over your pet’s shoulder blades. The scanner emits a low radio frequency that transmits the microchips unique cat or dog ID code to positively identify a pet.
If a pet gets lost and is taken to an animal shelter or veterinary clinic, they will scan the pet for a microchip number. This number is entered into a national data base in order to identify the pet and retrieve your contact information which is used to contact the owner and reunite them with their pet.
At our clinics, we utilize the Home Again microchip and database. If your pet’s microchip is registered with the Home Again program you receive multiple benefits such as:
- Free calls to poison control hotline
- Even for a veterinary office to call it is a $60/call
- Access to a veterinarian over the phone 24/7
- Owners can call if something arises during the night and they are unsure of whether to take pet to emergency or if it can wait until morning.
- Lost pet insurance up to $3000
- Clients must pay a $50 deductible
- Covers medical treatment for injuries dogs or cats suffer while lost up to $3000. Includes medications, hospitalization stay
- Owners must call 1-866-965-7387 and activate the lost pet insurance coverage prior to pet being lost
- Amber alert
- When client notifies Home Again via phone or website, shelters and clinics within a 25 mile radius are notified via fax. Lost posters can be made on their website
- Pet Travel Assistance
- If a cat or dog has been found over 500 miles away, Home Again will cover up to $500 to fly them home
- 2 free pet ID cards yearly
- Useful in case of emergency or for pet validation at boarding facilities.
- Includes pet photo, name, breed, color, weight, age, gender and vaccination information.
The first year’s membership in the Home Again Program is included in the price of the microchip. A representative from Home Again will contact annually you to see if you are interested in renewing your pet’s membership. Regardless of your membership status, your pet’s microchip number and your contact number will always be accessible in their data base; enabling us to reunite you with your pet if they ever get lost.